UTF-8 support

Alain Bench messtic at oreka.com
Thu Jul 14 21:46:02 CEST 2005

 On Tuesday, July 5, 2005 at 7:50:54 PM +0200, Bruno Haible wrote:

> Alain Bench wrote:
>> how is a Win32 console app supposed to use libcharset?
> The application needs to know where it intends to send a certain
> string of text.

    And this app needs to know which Windows specific Get*CP() to call,
then how to canonicalize charset name. So a Win32 console app can't use
libcharset, but must more or less duplicate it? There is no text/graph
mode hint an app could give to libcharset, to directly obtain the wanted
charset?

> GetOEMCP() or GetConsoleOutputCP() (I don't know the difference)

    I seem to understand GetOEMCP() gives fixed system default OEM CP,
while GetConsoleOutputCP() gives current console OEM CP. After a user or
app has done a "chcp 28591" on a French Windows, GetOEMCP()=850 while
GetConsoleOutputCP()=28591.

>> [GnuPG] on Win32 uses directly GetConsoleOutputCP(), unless it fails
>> then GetACP()

    I should add that the frontend calling GnuPG, and wanting us to
output ANSI text, has the duty to make GetConsoleOutputCP() fail for us
returning 0. The Bat!™ makes that, I don't know how.

Bye!	Alain.