I have the public key, but not the private...

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Wed Jul 27 08:29:51 CEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Travis C Newman wrote:

> I had reinstalled a while ago, and forgot to backup my gpg files. I have
> retrieved my public key from MIT's keyserver, but I don't have the
> private key, so I can't sign anything. Help?
==============

um... no. without the private key, you're beat. that's kind of the whole
point of pgp/gpg.

if you discover a way to recover the private key from a public key before
the earth is swallowed by the sun, we'd all like to know about it.

you did follow the instructions and created a revocation certificate,
right? and stored it in a safe place?

--
         ...atom

  PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	Bob Woodward:
 		"How do you think history will regard the war in Iraq?"
 	George "dubya" Bush:
 		"It won't matter. We'll all be dead."