libgcrypt & passphrase

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 28 08:57:46 CEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:21:22 +0200, Claudia Reuter said:

> Similar to GnuPG I like to encrypt the secrete key with a passphrase.
> libgcrypt seems not to implement a function to encrypt a key with a
> passphrase or am I wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That is correct.  At some point we might move some of this code into
Libgcrypt as it is useful for other applications too but I doubt that
this will happen in the near future.

You might also want to look at the agent/protect-tools.c which is a
program to use the GnuPG 1.9 style key protection.  It should not be
too hard to use it along with libgcrypt.  The format is described in
agent/keyformat.txt and the basic code is in agent/protect.c.
Basically it is the same algorithm as used by OpenPGP but modified to
work with S-expressions.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner