libcrypt and RC2 revisited

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 28 13:04:41 CEST 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:36:11 +0200, Zeljko Vrba said:

> For decryption there is no problem, of course. As for encryption.. it is

Well not supporting it _might_ help the sender to realize that he is
doing something strange (i.e. using a weak algorithm)

> but you have to have some kind of plugin for GPG, no? and GPG (except
> the experimental one) can't yet handle S/MIME. So linux mail readers

I won't declare the S/MIME support experimental in any way.  It is
actually stable and in production use at several sites.  It is just
that gpgsm is distributed in the development branch of gpg - which is
unfortunately but currently there is no solution for it.

Let me repeat: gpgsm, gpg-agent and gpgconf as available in gnupg
1.9.x are stable and ready for use.  You may install GnuPG 1.9 along
with GnuPG 1.4 to get both: OpenPGP and S/MIME.

MUAs supporting gpgsm are at least KMail and Mutt (1.5.x).

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner