subpacket of type 20 has critical bit set

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun Jun 5 00:57:51 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 11:04:16PM +0800, omn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed GnuPG 1.4.2 rc1 to my Win ME.
> When I update trust db, I receive following message:
> gpg: subpacket of type 20 has critical bit set.
>
> What does this means ? TIA.

Subpacket 20 is a signature notation.  What that error means is that
someone put in a signature notation that GnuPG doesn't understand (it
only understands one notation - the PGP/MIME vs partitioned one that
the pgp.com folks use).  Since the notation was marked as critical,
this means that GnuPG will reject the signature.

David