"--for-your-eyes-only"

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Mon Jun 27 07:16:47 CEST 2005

David Shaw wrote the following on 6/27/05 12:32 AM:
[...]

> I'm afraid I don't know what this means.  GnuPG has no such 'long
> headers', so I assume you're calling it from some front end.

Indeed, because 'long headers' has nothing to do with GnuPG per se, it
is a MUA viewing option that displays the 'long headers' aka 'extended
headers' of the message itself.

I pointed out that fact, because the receiving MUA (in long headers
mode) + GnuPG indicated that the message, although without text, had
been encrypted and signed.
If there is no text to be decrypted or verified, how does the receiving
GnuPG + MUA "knows" that this was an encrypted and signed message?

>>At the receiving end, how does GnuPG processes a message that has
>>been encrypted using
>>"--for-your-eyes-only", without --output? Where does the actual text
>>of the message goes? Is there such a text?
>

> In that case GnuPG discards the text and does not save or display it.

Then, is that combination of options, --for-your-eyes-only and --output,
meant to be used, at the receiving end, by PGP users only, and/or by
users of any other encryption software/platform that has the capability
to display the decrypted/verified text in a secure viewer form, or in
such a way that the decrypted/verified output can be viewed, but not saved?

A correction to my previous post:
when a message processed in MacGPG (GnuPG for the Mac), with those two
options, is decrypted using GnuPG (e.g. by command line) the verbose gpg
output contains a line reading:
gpg: NOTE: sender requested "for-your-eyes-only"

Is this line intended for the recipient's information only, or is there
a way the recipient can actually view the decrypted/verified text in a
secure viewer mode? I apologize if this a repetition of my previous
question.

Charly