"--for-your-eyes-only"

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 28 14:52:28 CEST 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:16:00 +0200 (MET DST), Johan Wevers said:

> Which makes me think... outputting the text to a .jpg (or .gif or .png)
> with secure fonts shown in the picture. The picture could then be looked
> at in an external vieuwer. That would be completely portable.

Actually a neat idea.  It could be implemented as a new conversion to
netpbm or ImageMagick.

There is just one caveat:

| Tempest protection by filtered fonts and related techniques are in the
| process of being patented internationally. This demonstration font can
| be copied and used freely in products for which the source code is
| made freely available (see the GNU General Public License for
| details). Contact the author for further information if you want to
| use this technology in commercial or military products.
|
| This package is available from
|
|   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/st-fonts.zip

Where this - but only this - shouldn't be a problem even if the EU
continues to ignore the will of its citizens and national parliaments
in next week's parliament reading on software patent.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner