"--for-your-eyes-only"

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jun 29 19:16:59 CEST 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:54:39 +0200, Janusz A Urbanowicz said:

> The aim of the secure viewer then was to make difficult to obtain eyes-only
> message text as a file or a pipe. It checked if output is a live tty,

Okay, that is something different.  I was solely speaking of a tempest
resistant viewer - the kind of thing PGP 6 named "secure viewer(/ing
mode)".

> Software that was distributed under GPL: pgp 2.3 and 2.3a. And pleaase don't

That's right. However these are AFAIK the only versions under the GPL
without restrictions.  The widely used 2.6* versions are under a non
free license diasllowing to change certain parts of the software or to
distribute only parts of it.

http://fsfeurope.org/documents/whyfs.html

> My point exactly, excapt that secure viewer needs not to be defined in the
> protocol RFC.

In fact there used to be a long discussion whether to keep the
for-your-eyes-only feature in OpenPGP or to drop it.  It does not
belong into the standard as OpenPGP defines a message format and not
an application.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner