pgp keys in gnupg: IDEA need for all recipients?

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Thu Jun 30 13:07:11 CEST 2005

Hello

Since it seems my original message did not arrive, I resend it and
apologise if it has been double posted.

As a long term user of pgp.2.6.3 I want to switch to gnupgp, but would
prefer to continue using my pgp key. So I looked up the information
available in
http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/pgp2x.html

and followed the steps indicated. One thing  remains unclear to me: it
concerns IDEA. As I understand it I  have to compile idea.c (and maybe
rsa.c or rsaref.c) in order to use my key.

However does this mean that  _every_ user who will  use my public key,
should  do the *same*?   I tried to send  myself  a  message  using my
imported pgp key,  with gnupg. However  that failed since  the modules
have yet not be  complied.  But that seems  to me that every user  who
want to communicate with me using that public key, should do the same,
is this  right? (If so I  will not use my pgp  key since I will expect
that  most gnupgp  users I  know  are not willing or  able  to do this
compilation.)

Thanks

Uwe Brauer