GPG scdaemon help

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Mar 2 15:45:25 CET 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:21:17 +0100, Olaf Gellert said:

> USB-tokens (eg. Aladdin eToken Pro, Safenet iKey3000)
> which seem to work with OpenSC. Is there any FAQ
> or tutorial or helpful information on how to make
> this work with the smartcard daemon of GPG?

You need to compile gnupg with OpenSC support. This should happen
automagically if the opensc development files are installed.

BUT: Due to the use of pthreads everywhere in OpenSC, some features of
the scdaemon won't work.  There is no way to solve it.  The only
reason we need OpenSC is due to itssupport for pkcs#15.  However
OpenSC has far too many features and only verty few people need the
ability to crerate pkcs#15 cards.  I have started to write a pkcs#15
application for scdaemon but it is far from being finished - With that
application tehre won't be anymore need for OpeNSC as thah app-p16.c
will take over all needed pkcs#15 parsing.

Without OpenSC support, scdaemon supports the applications: DINSIG,
Telesec NKS and the OpenPGP card (since the current CVS version).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner