Trust model: classic or pgp?

Marcus Frings iam-est-hora-surgere at despammed.com
Thu Mar 10 13:04:20 CET 2005

Hello,

I have two questions concerning the trust model. The man page says:

,----[ man gpg ]
| --trust-model pgp|classic|always
|     Set what trust model GnuPG should follow.  The models are:
|

|     pgp       This is the Web of Trust combined with trust signa-
|               tures as used in PGP 5.x and later.   This  is  the
|               default trust model.
|
|     classic   This  is  the  standard Web of Trust as used in PGP
|               2.x and earlier.
`----

First of all, what is actually the difference between "pgp" and
"classic"? The first option tells about WOT and trust signatures but the
latter just mentions the WOT.

My last question is why

  gpg --check-trustdb

results in

  gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, classic trust model
                                                   ^^^^^^^

when "pgp" is supposed to be the default? I cannot remember that I have
ever changed the trust model. I guess I should switch over to "pgp",
right?

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Ich glaube an Tod, Zerstörung, Chaos, Schmutz und Habgier."