Trust model: classic or pgp?

Marcus Frings iam-est-hora-surgere at despammed.com
Tue Mar 15 00:13:22 CET 2005

* David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 01:04:20PM +0100, Marcus Frings wrote:

>> First of all, what is actually the difference between "pgp" and
>> "classic"? The first option tells about WOT and trust signatures but the
>> latter just mentions the WOT.

> That is the difference.  The "pgp" trust model is identical to
> "classic" except that "pgp" supports trust signatures, and "classic"
> doesn't (it treats them the same as any other signature).

> I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, my problem was that I wasn't aware of
the new option "tsign" which is new in 1.4.0. After reading the info
about "tsign" in the manpage I understand the difference now.

[...]
>> when "pgp" is supposed to be the default? I cannot remember that I have
>> ever changed the trust model. I guess I should switch over to "pgp",
>> right?

> You probably were using GnuPG 1.2.x or earlier before you upgraded to
> 1.4.  In this case, your trustdb was created as "classic", and so
> GnuPG 1.4 is just respecting that.  If you want to force an upgrade to
> "pgp", do

Yes, this was an upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4, I have changed to trust-model
"pgp" now although I don't use these trust signatures at the moment.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Ich bewundere die konzeptionelle Reinheit... Geschaffen, um zu überleben...
Kein Gewissen beeinflusst es, es kennt keine Schuld oder Wahnvorstellungen