Multiple Subkeys/UIDs

Grimes, Dean DGRIMES at scvl.com
Tue Mar 22 03:46:01 CET 2005

>That makes things very difficult, unfortunately.  Given those
>restrictions, I think your best bet is to have some sort of "check
>out" process when someone needs to read a file.  At that point, the
>file is decrypted by the master key and then re-encrypted to that
>persons key.  Your local policy and setup will need to be written in
>such a way that this person cannot make their own copy of the file
>while reading it.

I like the idea of a check out system. This would eliminate the need to
create individual subkeys altogether. I could even use CVS as the
warehousing system. This accomplishes two goals: 1. Check in/out procedures
and 2. Logging all activity for checked out files.

>However, given that restriction (that the user has no way to make
>their own copy), I wonder what the point is in re-encrypting.  Why not
>decrypt as part of the check-out and give it to them in the clear?

I agree. There is no need to re-encrypt the files. These are trusted
employees who have the authority to view the data. I'm not too worried that
they wouldn't adhere to company policy.

However, just to be sure: There is no way to create multiple subkeys with
individual pass phrases that have the ability to decrypt messages/files
encrypted by a master key. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dean