gpg/keyboard issue

Samuel ]slund samuel at Update.UU.SE
Thu Mar 24 22:42:00 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 08:29:35PM -0500, Alver wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just imported my gpg keys from my previous install. However, when
> trying to use them to sign/encrypt/decrypt, my passphrase fails, even
> though I'm one hundred percent certain it's correct.
>
> Possible cause: my passphrase contains a character that I added to my
> keyboard manually through xmodmap - the scandinavian "ø" character.
> Even though the character works, and I can type my passphrase
> apparently correctly, it fails. People suggested that it might be
> related to my keyboard mapping; I can't remember offhand what it was
> set to before so I tried possible settings, but so far no luck. Is
> there a procedure to get this working?

If you used that character only once, throw computing power at it, there
are less than 256 possible choices.

You should be able to do something simple with a list of all possible
passphrases, a for-loop and the "passphrase-fd" switch.

You might want to find a shread command for your platform also...

HTH
//Samuel