Total n00b asking for help

Sean C. C. scc4fun at spamcop.net
Thu Mar 24 20:55:56 CET 2005

Stacey,

1. First download GnuPG. They now have version 1.4.1 which has a windows
installer, so that should be easy enough. (I'm still using the previous
version which you had to unzip and move the files around.) I'm not sure
if you will need it but there is a link on the enigmail website for
libiconv#whatever#.zip. The previous version requested it, so the new
version probably will too.
2. I'd upgrade to a newer version of Thunderbird. I believe Thunderbird
1.0.2 is the latest. You should be able to go to Tools > Options >
Advanced > Software Update > Update from within Thunderbird (same for
Firefox).
3. From the enigmail website download and install Enigmail 0.90.2.0.
You'll have to save it by right-clicking it and then from the Tools >
Extensions window in Thunderbird choose the Install button to install it
in Thunderbird.
4. After that you can create a key pair that you will use. You can
either use the OpenPGP Key Management window or the command line.

*DISCLAIMER* I'm fairly new to GnuPG/Enigmail/Thunderbird myself so I
don't know everything. The steps above I learned from installing it
myself just a couple months ago.

This advice is devoid of any Warranty for a particular purpose or
Warranty of merchantability or anything else you can think of. It's my
own experience.