New user problems please help

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 30 18:17:02 CEST 2005

Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:

> (after renaming gnupg-1.4.1.tar.gz.sig to
>    gnupg-1.4.1.tar.gz.asc )

Why did you rename the file? Not that it matters, gnupg will ignore
extensions anyway, but .asc is usually used for base-64 encoded
files. The signature on the source is in binary format.

>I get:
>gpg: Signature made Tue Mar 15 10:29:15 2005 CST using DSA key ID 57548DCD
>gpg: BAD signature from "Werner Koch (gnupg sig) <dd9jn at gnu.org>"
>
>>From the second line above, I take it that the "BAD" indicates some
>problem.  What's wrong?

The signature file doesn't match with the source file. This could mean that
the source was modified, a corrupt download, or a corrupt signature file.
Most probably, however, your browser unpacked the gzipped file but didn't
rename it. How big is the file? It should be around 3.8 MB.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html