How to change trust model

Per Tunedal Casual pt at radvis.nu
Wed May 11 22:05:52 CEST 2005

At 03:00 2005-05-11, David Shaw wrote:
 >On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 02:22:28AM +0200, Per Tunedal Casual wrote:
 >> At 00:21 2005-05-11, David Shaw wrote:
 >>  >On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:16:03AM +0200, Per Tunedal Casual
 >>  >wrote:
 >>  >
 >>  >> Scenario:
 >>  >> A new user has to quickly download keys to his contacts. The
 >>  >> keys
 >>  >> are
 >>  >> signed by a mutually trusted CA.
 >>  >> How can he get valid keys to use trusting the CA, rather than
 >>  >> having
 >>  >> to check  and sign each of them?
 >>  >
 >>  >You don't need trust signatures or any special trust models for
 >>  >this.
 >>  >If you trust the CA, sign the CA key.  If the CA has signed your
 >>  >contacts, then you're done.  The contact keys are now valid.
 >>  >
 >>  >David
 >>  >
 >> Yes, David, you are right. I want a bit more.
 >>
 >> Some contacts may not be directly signed by the CA, then the trust
 >> model will be important, I suppose. How can the signature of the CA
 >> be
 >> useful as far down the tree as possible?
 >>
 >> Can you please explain the PGP-model and how to issue trust
 >> signatures
 >> (tsign), with the implications for the validity of keys.
 >
 >First, read this:
 >
 >http://download.cryptoex.com/documents/whitepaper/cex2003-pgp-in-unter
 >nehmen
 >-en/Tech%20White%20Paper%202002%20-%20Using%20OpenPGP%20in%20Corporati
 >ons.pdf
 >
 >It's a very good explanation of trust signature concepts.
 >
 >How they are used specifically in GnuPG is via the 'tsign' command.
 >tsign is just like sign (or lsign) except that you are asked a few
 >more questions by GnuPG.  Think of tsign as a combination of a
 >regular
 >signature plus the ownertrust.  This combines two different things
 >from the classic trust model into one signature.
 >
 >First you are asked:
 >
 >   Please decide how far you trust this user to correctly verify
 >   other
 >   users' keys (by looking at passports, checking fingerprints from
 >   different sources, etc.)
 >
 >     1 = I trust marginally
 >     2 = I trust fully
 >
 >This is similar to the question you get asked when setting
 >ownertrust.
 >What GnuPG is asking is not how much you trust the user, but how much
 >you trust the user to make good signatures.
 >
 >The next question is:
 >
 >   Please enter the depth of this trust signature.
 >   A depth greater than 1 allows the key you are signing to make
 >   trust signatures on your behalf.
 >
 >The signature depth is how many levels "deep" can the power granted
 >by
 >this signature travel.  For example, a level of 1 means that the key
> [...]
Hi again David,
now I tried:
1. Creating one Root-CA, signing a CA-key by:
gpg --edit-key keyid
tsign
with 2 = I trust fully
and
  depth = 2

2. Letting a "user key" sign the Root-CA-key with
ltsign
with 2 = I trust fully
and
  depth = 2

Result:
Keys signed by the CA-key are valid for the user.

Questions:
Please explain the depth i detail.

A. Would it be sufficient to choose depth = 1 for both trust
signatures above?
B. What happens if a key signed by the CA signs an other key with an
ordinary exportable signature?
C Why choose depth = 2? A scenario?

Per Tunedal