problem with key import

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat May 21 02:26:54 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:33:15PM +0100, Karl Kashofer wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Would anyone know why this key can not be imported into GnuPG ?
>
> Keyserver: 0x133CC3FD
>
> It looks OK to me, imports fine in PGP and the self signature was made
> one second after the key creation date. No hints in PGPdump either.
>
> GnuPG seems to skip the primary UserID and then complains about no valid
> User ID. The key was created with CryptoEx.

This is a known problem with CryptoEx.  I believe they've fixed it
already.  Basically, CryptoEx didn't always calculate the key ID
properly, so self-signatures didn't verify.  PGP will import a key
with a bad self-signature, so it works in PGP.  GnuPG won't import
such a key, but you can override this with --allow-non-selfsigned-uid

Better to get an updated CryptoEx though.

David