KMail and smartcard

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue May 24 09:55:09 CEST 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:41:24 +0200, Chris  said:

> How can I use the smartcard in KMail? I cannot choose its keys in the Identity
> management.

Does "gpg -K" list your key?  This is what Kmail displays.

You are using a decent Kmail (with all the crypto tabs in the
configuration dialog and the requirement for gpg-agent)?

> Using a key from the harddrive does work without problems.

For gpg it makes no difference whether the key is on the disk or on
the card.  This is because we create a "stub"- secret key for every
card key.  gpg -K will show you the serial number of the cards
associated with that secret key.

If you generated the card key on another machine, please run "gpg
--card-status" once on the new machine to create such a stub key.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner