Max compression

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Tue May 24 16:57:04 CEST 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Per Tunedal Casual wrote:

> what are the maximum values for compression for zip, zlib and bzip2? The
> default is 6 for zlib according to the manpage.
>
> I would like to set a somewhat higher compression with: --compress-level
==============

the range is 1-9. 1 is the fastest, 9 is the best compression.

from the gzip man page:
 	Regulate the speed of compression using the specified digit #,
 	where -1 or --fast indicates the fastest compression method (less
 	compression)  and -9 or --best indicates the slowest compression
 	method (best compression).  The default compression level is -6
 	(that is, biased towards high compression at expense of speed)

and bzip2:
 	Set the block size to 100 k, 200 k ..  900 k when compressing.
 	Has no effect when decompressing.  See MEMORY MANAGEMENT below.
 	The --fast and --best aliases are primarily for GNU gzip
 	compatibility.  In particular, --fast doesn't make things
 	significantly faster.  And --best merely selects the default
 	behavior.

--
         ...atom

  PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"The proper time to influence the character of a
 	 child is about a hundred years before he's born."
 		-- William R. Inge (1913-1973)