Additional self-signature

Oskar L. oskar at rbgi.net
Fri May 27 09:06:12 CEST 2005

"David Shaw" <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
> No, it's the other way around.  The public key can be created from the
> secret key.  What you are seeing with the second self-signature is a
> historical oddity.  In the past, keys were generated with two
> different self-signatures - one on the secret key and one on the
> public key.  You are just seeing them both.  Newer keys are generated
> with a single self signature so you only see one.

Thanks for your anwser, but I'm a bit confused now about what exactly you
mean by "in the past" and "newer keys", since this is happening even
though I'm using the current version (1.4.1, Debian package), and the
keypair was also generated using the same version.

"Werner Koch" <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> It has been fixed in the CVS when creating new keys.  How only one
> self-signature is created and used verbatim also for the secret key.
> This will go into 1.4.2.

Will 1.4.2 also be able to fix the signatures on older keys?

Oskar