Choice of Algorithm

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Fri May 27 16:53:04 CEST 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Erpo wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 20:12 +0200, Youssef Aoun wrote:
>> Since ElGamal is able to make signatures and encryption... why do we
>> have other alternatives? Does it help to have multiple key??
>
> It helps to have multiple algorithms in that there is a backup if one of
> them is broken. ElGamal isn't used for signing because DSA is The
> Standard.
====================

elgamal isn't used because the implementation was broken. as far as DSA
being "The Standard" i don't think it's any more standard than RSA,
although it is more common.

the common and widespread use of DSA instead of RSA for signatures seems
to be a historical artifact of RSAs patent which, until it expired, forced
open source crypto applications to use something else.

--
         ...atom

  PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which
 	 the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the
 	 wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of
 	 liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed
 	 upon a definition of liberty."
 		-- Abraham Lincoln