the best signature type someone can give me

Christoph Anton Mitterer cam at mathematica.scientia.net
Tue Nov 1 15:52:19 CET 2005

David Shaw wrote:

>First, read this:
>
>http://download.cryptoex.com/documents/whitepaper/cex2003-pgp-in-unternehmen-en/Tech%20White%20Paper%202002%20-%20Using%20OpenPGP%20in%20Corporations.pdf
>
>Then, read this:
>
>http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2005-May/025612.html

Thanks :-) .... these helped me a lot in understanding :-)

I've also read the thread and nearly the same question is asked there
againm but,.. just to be sure:

So if I sign someone with a tsign and level 1:
-He is a trusted introducer for me, meaning that UIDs he sign are
automatically valid for me. (using sign)
-If he tsigns someone,... with any level, that UID is vaild for me too
BUT can't introduce new UIDs or introducers for me.

If I sign someone with level 2:
He is a metaintroducer meaning that,...
-normal normal sign he makes to UIDs are autom. vaild for me too.
-If he tsigns someone that someone is introducer for me too

Example:

me->(tsign_1)->root_CA
root_ca->(sign)->president
root_ca->(tsign-x)->sub_CA

=>root_ca and president is valid to me
=>sub_CA is vaild too but nothing that sub_CA signs/tsigns is vaild for me

Example:
me->(tsign_2)->root_CA
root_ca->(sign)->president
root_ca->(tsign-1)->sub_CA_A
root_ca->(tsign-2)->sub_CA_B

sub_CA_A->(sign)->bill
sub_CA_B->(tsign-1)->sub_sub_CA_B_A

sub_sub_CA_B_A->sign->joe

president->sign->mike

=>root_CA, president, sub_CA_A, sub_CA_B are vaild to me
=>bill is vaild too as root_CA makes sub_CA_A to an trusted introducer
for me (with the level 1 tsign)
=>sub_sub_CA_B_A itself is valid too for me
=>joe is NOT vaild for me, even sub_sub_CA_B_A got an level-1-tsign from
sub_CA_B which got an (!!) level-2-tsign from root_CA which would be ok
=> BUT I gave root_CA only a level-2-sign so third and higher level
introducers (like sub_sub_CA_B_A is one) do not count for me
=>mike is not vaild for me, too. even the levels for him would have been
ok,.. BUT president hasn't an tsign-x signature from the root

Everything correct so far?

What is the difference if I use FULLY or MARGINAL with tsigns?

Best wishes,
Chris.