Key Capabilities

Christoph Anton Mitterer cam at mathematica.scientia.net
Thu Nov 17 16:09:36 CET 2005

Olaf Gellert wrote:

>When I generate an RSA key, GPG provides the capabilities
>sign, encrypt and authenticate (in expert mode), but
>not certification.

Certification is always used automatically for the primary (signing) key.
If you edit your key (gpg --edit-key <foo>) you'll see a "Usage: CS" for
the primary key.

>Is certification somethin that is actually implemented
>or planned for the near future?

It is actually implemented (its one of the most basic features: signing keys

>What usage is expected to depend on this capability?

Cryptographically it is about the same as normal signing, it simly
denotes that a key may be used to sign other keys.

Best wishes,
Chris.