Expiration Date on Subkeys and PGP

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 5 14:42:51 CEST 2005

Werner Koch wrote:

>pgp5 can't be part of Debian because it is clearly non-free software.

That depends on your definition. But I guess it would be allowed to
distribute it with a Linux distribution. From the LICENSE file from
a pgp 5.0i source (I still have it, although I never succeeded in
compiling it):

PGP International Freeware, Version 5.0i
(Executable Object Code Version)
Copyright © 1990-1997 Pretty Good Privacy, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

For Non-Commercial Distribution and Use Only
Terms and Conditions

[...]

b. Non-Commercial Distribution.  You may make exact, unmodified
copies of this Software Product and distribute such copies solely by
electronic means (for example, posting on Internet sites for others to
download), subject to the following (a) that such distribution is
solely for non-commercial purposes (see above definition), (b) that
the Software Product is distributed unmodified and in its entirety
(with its complete user documentation, its readme files, its
copyright, trademark, other intellectual property notices, including
these terms and conditions, and all of its other components), and (c)
that such distribution may occur anywhere in the world, except that
Pretty Good Privacy, Inc. expressly forbids the export of this
Software Product to any countries embargoed by the U.S. government
(currently including, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Syria and
Sudan) or to the United States to the extent the practice in the U.S.
of any of the inventions covered by U.S. patent no. 4,405,829 (the
"RSA" patent) would require payment to the patent rights holder.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html