Armor headers

lusfert lusfert at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 18:24:40 CEST 2005

Alphax wrote:
> lusfert wrote:
>
>>>Hello.
>>>
>>>How can I change text (not by manually editing) in armor headers (for
>>>example, "Version:") or armor headers themselves (add, remove)? Will it
>>>affect compatibility with other applications?
>>>
>>>Can I put custom text into "Version:" in stage of exporting public key,
>>>making signatures, encrypting with ASCII output, etc.?
>>>
>>>Sometimes I do not wish that others will know what exactly OpenPGP
>>>implementation and OS I'm currently using.
>>>

> Well, you can use --no-emit-version and --no-comments...

Thanks, these commands are really useful.

Albert Reiner wrote:
> [lusfert <lusfert at gmail.com>, Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:15:43 +0400]:
>
>>How can I change text (not by manually editing) in armor headers (for
>>example, "Version:") or armor headers themselves (add, remove)? Will it
>>affect compatibility with other applications?
>

> Not an expert, but I don't think you can put custom text into the
> "Version:" field, but you can omit it and put custom text into a
> "Comment:" field:
>
>     $ echo | gpg --armor --encrypt --recip z --trust-model always
>                  --comment 'hi there' --no-emit-version
>     -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>     Comment: hi there
>
>     hQEOAySceYtaaKyoEAP7BRdkZhUotlFOHtp891NG1aSO0727JKiSE/C8l9P2oKgm
>     tnwhctB29507aDOqxsA20ZWl7VqmoJ3lMwQpvZ4iKsCzcoi2i7sH8eU1glozqVKv
>     K0hPYPsKCyHz/Wjn7Yo243CP9ulktwN10MAsGuojQjg9XPcMm3DEgphcHFKk+KID
>     /RWu7taGDOj+1oYyzPNiElHUoHgS0IDeFE+bDf6VB6M6nysOqwwdVAzSdILi/vts
>     mz59hZQ1MEDl6PzitDBiID6jKuC7PwB+kP1hJOQKYLfjpkJb+76tjzSdvdHLijve
>     Upxvgkj///I5lfxOvmk6ypBC8uDBc6wCCFHKwLLAO9Xx0jwBEG+yymDUq5pmVFzd
>     UxwQlvD7Z/NqJauti9AtvFhDGB3ocGFY9ew7hLkTG6ldLMaaXgRkeQi1G8+v7xg=
>     =Ntod
>     -----END PGP MESSAGE-----
>
> HTH,
>
> Albert.

But sometimes I see public keys with custom "Version:", for example,
http://www.pgpru.com/contacts/keys/0x4D8BB49E.asc
Is it possible to change this field only by manually editing?

About "Comment:" I already know. BTW,

--comment 'hi there' (with apostrophes '')

doesn't work, works only with quotation marks ""

Thus very paranoid message should be sent via anonymous remailers and
encrypted with options:

--no-emit-version
--no-comments
--no-throw-keyids

Anything else (except removing BEGIN PGP MESSAGE)?

--
With best regards...
Current OpenPGP key ID: 0x500B8987