Lack of backwards compatability?

Mica Mijatovic blueness at gmx.net
Mon Oct 10 16:27:07 CEST 2005

    Was Mon, 10 Oct 2005, at 21:09:59 +0930,
    when Alphax wrote:

> Some old versions of GPG (1.0.x?) had support for the TIGER192 hash, but
> this was later removed when it was dropped/rejected from the OpenPGP
> standard.

> However, these versions of GPG (and possibly some versions of PGP as
> well) are still able to produce signatures using the TIGER192 hash
> algorithm, with no way to verify them in the current version of GPG.

> Is it possible to add the capability to verify signatures made with this
> hash? The fact that prior versions were able to create such signatures
> but newer versions are not able to verify them really breaks backwards
> compatability standards.

Ah, lo the mellow suggestion! I'm about to join with too. It would be
quite handy, especially for some of us who were using the TIGER _a lot_
in the past, and are using it _a lot_ in the present, and shall use it,
with the sweet permission of providence _a lot_ in the future.

Meantime, though, this is how I solve this problem, so it perhaps could
help others too...

I have both .exe versions 1.4x and 1.2.3 in folder "There" which is
sub-folder of the folder "GPG" (with GPG installed in and with the
working current gpg.exe). Via a .bat file I copy/rename one of the
versions I need into GPG folder, so it becomes gpg.exe. I call the .bat
file with just Win+R (yep, we talk about a Windows now), then typing in
"14" (for version 1.4x) or "12" (for version 1.2.3) and then hitting the
<enter>. It's a pretty quick switch and not very inconvenient. I use
similar "strategy" for a switch between diverse .conf files of mine.

If this is not clear enough I might send copies of my .bat files with
more instructions.

It's easy to do in Linux too, using simple shell scripts, instead the
batch ones.

And, in honor of TIGER192, I'll out of courtesy sign this missive using
this fancy and noble algo. (-: (I switch now to "conf2" .bat.)

- --
Mica
PGP keys nestled at: http://bardo.port5.com/pgpkeys/
~~~ For personal mail please use my address as it is *exactly* given
                 in my "From|Reply To" field(s). ~~~
OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.