Emacs interface to gpg

nega at exmachinae.net nega at exmachinae.net
Tue Oct 18 07:07:16 CEST 2005

Patrik Jonsson writes:

 > I just started using gpg and was looking around for an emacs mode to
 > encrypt/decrypt files during load and save.  There are a few vague
 > references to crypt++, but they are all stale web sites and messages
 > from years ago.  I finally managed to locate something that looked like
 > the crypt++ web site, which had a notice that development on crypt++ had
 > ceased and that instead crypt.el from xemacs should be used.  However, I
 > downloaded the current version of xemacs and found no crypt.el.

The latest version (via Google) is at
http://freefriends.org/~karl/crypt++/crypt++.el

Be sure and read the notes, as setup is slightly different if you're
using Emacs or XEmacs.

XEmacs's crypt.el is part of the os-utils package (or xemacs-sumo
package if you go that route.)

XEmacs also has a "encrypto" package, though I couldn't tell you
anything about it.

You can get those packages from the "packages" subdirectory at any
XEmacs mirror site.

While we're at it, use mailcrypt (http://mailcrypt.sf.net/) or gpg.el
for encrypting email (in most of the emacs mail readers). You can use
mailcrypt with Gnus, but I believe the Gnus folks recommend using their
included functionality. Since I use mailcrypt I can't tell you
anything about gpg.el (or even where to get it) except that if I
remember right, it is gpg specific (ie: it doesn't support pgp) and it
might do S/MIME, where mailcrypt doesn't.