Subkey revocation means losing signatures?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Oct 18 17:37:31 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:08:07AM +0200, Realos wrote:
> I am a bit confused about the gnupg behaviour in case of revoking a
> subkey or uid. Since uids are actually signed by others in combination
> my public key.
>
> Does it mean revoking a subkey or uid rsults in loss of signatures I
> have collected over the time? How to proceed in such a case?

Revoking a subkey loses nothing (except the subkey).  Revoking a user
ID loses any signatures on that user ID - after all, those people
signed that user ID, and by revoking it you say that you, the owner,
does not treat the user ID as valid any longer.  If you don't treat it
as valid, why should anyone else?

David