Delete key from keyserver

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Oct 24 23:38:10 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 04:21:32PM -0500, Alex Mauer wrote:

> The UID format is also problematic IMO.  GPG (OpenPGP?) strongly
> "wants" to have a Name and an email address for each UID.  I think
> that this puts emphasis in a bad place, leading people to be signing
> the fact that e.g. "Alex Mauer belongs with hawke at hawkesnest.net",
> rather than "Alex Mauer belongs with key 0x51192ff2" and
> "hawke at hawkesnest.net belongs with key 0x51192ff2".  The photo UID
> type fits much better, being a statement that "this is a photo of
> the person who uses 0x51192ff2".

I don't agree with this.  The user ID system in all OpenPGP products
gives a regular UTF-8 string.  Signatures simply bind that string to
the primary key.  The system says exactly "Alex Mauer belongs with key
0x51192ff2" and "hawke at hawkesnest.net belongs with key 0x51192ff2".
You cannot sign a user ID without binding it to a key.

David