Encrypted file filename

Wes wespvp at SYNTEGRA.COM
Thu Oct 27 16:18:50 CEST 2005

On 10/26/05 4:40 PM, "Tracy D. Bossong" <sithtracy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Instead of --decrypt, use
>
> gpg --use-embedded-filename myfile.pgp

> Well, not instead but in addition to --decrypt.
> --use-embedded-filename is an option.

Ok, I see that now in the man page, just not in the command line usage.
Thanks.  Guess I'm blind...

I also see --set-filename.  However, I don't see any way to read the
embedded file name.

I have a server process that is decrypting messages and needs the original
file name to rebuild some headers before sending the file on.  It needs to
decrypt the message to a known file, then build the headers with the
original file name.

I guess the file could be decrypted into an empty temp directory, then use
opendir/readdir to find whatever filename shows up there.  That seems a bit
kludgy, though.

Also, is the embedded file name guaranteed to be just a file name, or could
it be a full path, which would present a rather significant problem?

Wes