OpenPGP Card

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 00:59:48 CEST 2005

Lionel Elie Mamane Wrote:

> Not unless that PKCS#11 module "is normally distributed with the major
components of the operating system".
> (Assuming here that the PKCS#11 module would is a library that GnuPG would
be dlopen.)

So how come GPGed application can use display driver that is vendor
provided? I use ATI drivers... And I have a lot of GPLed programs on my
computer...
And how come GPGed application can print on a printer using a proprietary
driver from HP (for example)? I can show you that it GPLed program loads
these drivers...
The same goes to PKCS#11, it is a driver to access the smart card... It is
just like any other peripheral component you use, it is part of the run-time
environment, so that the user may choose which device should be used,
without the software author forcing him to use a specific device.
Open source if about freedom... Right? So there is also the freedom of the
user to choose his peripheral devices, including smartcards.

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.