OpenPGP Card

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 5 20:10:40 CEST 2005

Zeljko Vrba <zvrba at globalnet.hr> writes:

>Yes, these devices are expensive for individuals.

Although they're less expensive on ebay :-).  Keep an eye on that long enough
and you'll find almost anything turning up, for example there's almost always
some Spyrus Lynks cards on sale by someone.  Some of the stuff even has
previous CA's keys still in the HW.

>PKCS#11 is not limited to smart-cards.

Yup, and that's an important point.  If you want big-iron style crypto HW
support, your choice is either PKCS #11, CryptoAPI, or a per-hardware-device
custom API.  I know which one I'd want...

Peter.