OpenPGP Card

Zeljko Vrba zvrba at globalnet.hr
Tue Sep 6 16:04:28 CEST 2005

'Lionel Elie Mamane' wrote:

> I had understood that it was not a _protocol_ but a library API. HTTP
> is a _protocol_ for data interchange over the network. I thought
> PKCS#11 was a _library_ API and that you linked (dynamically at
> run-time) a particular "implementation" of it (the card driver) into
> your program to use it. If that's not the case, my previous messages
> are void and meaningless.

PKCS#11 IS a library API. But really, how is API different from a
protocol? Is the only difference linking in the same address space?

Anyway, the "right" way, as I've understood Alon, is to make gpg use
gpg-agent. They communicate via a well defined _protocol_ and are not
_linked_ together.

So actually, the PKCS#11 licensing issue can be solved by independently
writing a BSD-licensed version of the gpg-agent.