OpenPGP Card

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 22:34:33 CEST 2005

Werner Koch wrote:

>> As Alon did remark earlier, the general movement in the industry is
>> towards multi-purpose smart-cards. OpenPGP card currently doesn't fall
>> into this category.

> Not true.  The OpenPGP card specification is a card application and you
may put as many other applications on a card as you like and the
> EEPROM allows to.  With 6k (and even less possible) it is actually a
pretty small application.

Werner, you fail to understand the user requirements... The low level
specifications of the cards is not important, programmers (except of you
guys...) do not program low-level code in order to access devices.
There is PKCS#11 which is high-level SOFTWARE API that is cross-platform,
cross-device, and easy to use.
This is the only specification to which I can write software and make sure
that the user will be free to choose his hardware.

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.