OpenPGP Card

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 23:16:53 CEST 2005

David Picon Alvarez wrote:

I dropped all stuff regarding the differences using API and
communication... I think you are wrong, there is exception for
the rules... I try now to contact FSF for a formal position.

> The lawyer who wrote GPL wrote it with the explicit intent to incentive
> programmers to write free software and keep software free. Allowing linkage
> to or from NON-GPL code is generally considered to be counterproductive for
> the purposes stated.

Here is what you imply... And it is so sad that I want to cry :-(

On Microsoft platform, there is an API called CryptoAPI which
is provided as part of the operating system.
This API uses CSPs (Cryptographic Service Providers) that is
provided by the smart card vendors.

So GPLed program can execute on Windows platform which is
TOTALLY NOT A FREE software and use vendor provided smart card
interface.

On the other hand, in Linux environment, the flag ship of the
free software, a GPLed software cannot use vendor provided
smart card interface since (As you claim) every shared library
that is used must be also GPLed.

Microsoft environment turns to be the best environment for
GPLed software, since it provides all features as part of the
operating system... This is how they use their monopoly... And
you and all people who think like you fall into their trap.

Your arguments should not be if the code is run here or run
there or how technically you use a piece of code, your
argument should be around the ability to spread free software,
and this ability is provided if the free software uses as many
standards as it can, PKCS#11 is one of them.

There is no sense in turning Linux environment to be less
attractive for free software development, since smart card are
hardware based, they will never be free and as such every
program that need to use hardware will have to use proprietary
code.

 From your position there are three options:
1. Linux will not be able to use many hardware devices
available in the market. So there will be less application for
Linux, more application for  Windows.
2. Vendors will develop NONE FREE software and sell it to
people who insist to use these hardware devices and Linux. For
example, I will write a PKCS#11 gpg-agent and sale it for
enterprises... If they insist of using gpg... But I don't
believe they will...
3. Application in Linux environment will invent standards like
the OpenPGP card, and be left out with some early adapters
individuals.

When I read the GPL and the GPL FAQ I don't understand that
this was the wish of the authors. Exactly because of that they
allowed exceptions. People should understand when a situation
occurs that satisfied an exception.

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.