How to run a key server

Berend Tober btober at seaworthysys.com
Wed Sep 7 23:29:18 CEST 2005

This may be a very silly question, but I want to know what is involved
with running a key server?

A manager has asked about whether we can somehow use "electronic
signatures" on internal documents to reduce paper and printer costs as
well as the problem of occasionally losing a printed piece of
documentation that needs to get approved or signed by more than one
person. Seems to me like gnupg is made for this kind of situation. Since
this will be an internal infrastructure, I"m not concerned with
providing a PKI to the *public*, but just to company employees. I'm
thinking that there must be a server software package that handle this
available somewhere, but my googling turns up mostly info on using gpg
individually, more or less. There is a sourceforge project that seems to
be the right tool, but it was listed as inactive.