[Sks-devel] stripping GD sigs (was: Re: clean sigs)

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 16:58:22 CEST 2005

David Shaw wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 11:02:56AM +0200, Johan Wevers wrote:
>
>>David Shaw wrote:
>>

>>>I'd be all in favor of an option where users could elect to filter out
>>>keys: that would put the user in control.  Forcing your decision on
>>>others by stripping signatures is a very disturbing step.
>>
>>Considering the behaviour of the GD, I'd say it's also a practical issue
>>about resources: if it keeps signing keys like this, an SKS server might
>>well be in need of seriously more hardware than it is now. Someone's got
>>to pay for that, amd I don't think all keyserver maintainers want to.
>

> I have sympathy for that argument, so wouldn't it be good to trace
> down where the sigs are entering the keyserver net, and ask whoever is
> doing it to stop?  It seems like the obvious first step.

Well, I don't know *where* they are coming from, but I (and the kind
soul who worked it out and told me) know think we know *how* it's being
done. And unfortunately, it's very easy (too easy!) to do, especially
for someone with a high-speed internet connection.

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign