gpg: invalid armor header

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Sep 12 20:30:09 CEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 08:17:57PM +0200, Henk M. de Bruijn wrote:
> I tried to verify a clearsigned (inline signed) message.
>
> Used digest algorhythm Hash: SHA512
>
> This is what I get when I try to verify the message:
>
> "gpg: invalid armor header: www.pgp.com"
>
> When I made a remark about this I was pointed in the direction that it
> maybe had something to do with wrapping a header???

That comment was correct.  What happens is a message that has a
version line that is very long.  Something like:

Version: PGP 8.0.2 - not licensed for commercial use: www.pgp.com

The line is long enough that the "www.pgp.com" on the end linewraps
around when the message is pasted into some mail clients.  The
www.pgp.com on its own line breaks the message.

David