Gnupg-users Digest, Vol 24, Issue 34

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Tue Sep 13 17:24:43 CEST 2005

>Message: 8
>Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:50:06 -0500
>From: John B <yochanon at localnet.com>
>Subject: Re: Hushmail troubles...again

>On Sunday 11 September 2005 09:51, vedaal at hush.com wrote:
>> try sending the message as encrypted inline text,
>>
>> encrypt your message first,
>> copy it into the e-mail program,
>> and send as is
>
>  I just tried this to 'my' hushmail account, and it worked fine,
>but my
>friend still can't decrypt mine for anything. I've uploaded *all*
>my public
>keys to the hushmail server and tried all my addresses and still
>no go for
>anyone but my own account.
>  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

what key are you encrypting to?

if you are encrypting to your friend's gnupg generated public key,
then, there is one simple step he needs to do when he receives your
inline encrypted mussage:

hushmail will give an error message that it cannot decrypt
(because it doesn't have the private key of the gnupg generated
keypair,
[which is the way it should be, the private key shouldn't really be
entrusted to anyone else, even hushmail ;-)  ]

when hushmail gives this error message,
just click on 'options' in the hushmail e-mail message window,
then on 'show original', and hushmail will display your encrypted
message, which he can then decrypt in gnupg

now,
if your friend has 'only' hushmail,
and doesn't use gnupg,
and wants to decrypt your messages,
then you need his hushmail public key,
(which either he needs to send to you, or, if you have a hushmail
account too, you can retrieve it from 'hushtools' 'key management'
'retrieve a public key')

import your friend's hush key into gnupg, encrypt to it,
and then he will be able to decrypt the message directly

vedaal