1.2.1 to 1.4.2 upgrade question

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Sep 18 15:13:51 CEST 2005

I have a gpg 1.2.1 binary which I compiled a while back. I use this
binary in a special sort of free-floating way in an application for a
restricted (no web of trust, yes I am aware of limitations of this
setup but it is better than nothing) way of verifying files. There is
needs not to be a gpg installed on the system, the setup works
independently of any GPG install.

I used to do something like this

mkdir /tmp/gpg-test
chmod 700 /tmp/gpg-test/
( cat foo | gpg --quiet --keyserver wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net --homedir /tmp/
gpg-test --no-options --keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve --verify
foo.sig - )

With 1.2.1, this works. E.g.

$ cat tex.plist| gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net --homedir /tmp/
gpg-test --no-options --keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve --verify
tex.plist.sig
gpg: Signature made Sat Sep 17 22:32:38 2005 CEST using DSA key ID
C87AB5FC
gpg: /tmp/gpg-test/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key C87AB5FC: public key "i-Installer <iinstaller at rna.nl>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
gpg: Good signature from "i-Installer <iinstaller at rna.nl>"
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to
the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: C1BA 787F 78B0 18D2 B6E7  9464 9D03 DB70
C87A B5FC

But with 1.4.2 I get:

gpg: keyring `/tmp/gpg-test/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: Signature made Sat Sep 17 22:32:38 2005 CEST using DSA key ID
C87AB5FC
gpg: requesting key C87AB5FC from hkp server wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
gpg: unable to execute program `/usr/local/libexec/gnupg/
gpgkeys_hkp': No such file or directory
gpg: no handler for keyserver scheme `hkp'

This is not surprising as gpg is not installed on the system and this
script should work regardless of its install. It seems gpg has the
string /usr/local/libexec/gnupg hard coded. Is it possible for me to
make gpg use gpgkeys_hkp from another location? Or am I in trouble
and can't I use GPG anymore in this free floating manner?

Thanks,