trouble decrypting AES256 symmetric encrypted file

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit7 at netscape.net
Tue Sep 20 09:25:02 CEST 2005

John Clizbe wrote:

>Alphax wrote:
>> JIH, DOUG Y. wrote:
>>> I got the following messages when I tried to decrypt a file.gpg with
>>> the size 4,920,412,393 bytes.
>>>
>>> gpg: AES256 encrypted data
>>> gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
>>> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=7e)
>>> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=32)
>>> gpg: WARNING: encrypted message has been manipulated!
>>> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=2c)
>>>
>>> The file was produced by encrypting with
>>>
>>> gpg -c --cipher aes256 file
>>>
>>> When the error messages occured, the output file has a size of
>>> 614,055,611 bytes.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please help!
>>>
>>> Using gpg version 1.4.2, official Windows version
>>>

>> I have a feeling Windows has problems with files this large, esp. on NTFS.
>>
>I recall this being a common error with GnuPG on Win32.
>
>The usual work-around if I recall correctly is to use redirection:
>
>    gpg < file.gpg > file.out
>
>Has the file been manipulated or moved between systems since it was encrypted?

First, it is NOT a limitation of the file size on an NTFS file system
(at least in theory).  Check it out (snatched out of the mouth of the
Lion:

http://tinyurl.com/2ozuo

Quoting the maximum file size from Microsoft:

Theory: 16 exabytes minus 1 KB (2^64 bytes minus 1 KB)
mplementation: 16 terabytes minus 64 KB (2^44 bytes minus 64 KB)

That is much better than the 2 GB limit of EXT3.  In reality, that
can't be the limit because a DVD gets broken up into chunks rather
than being one huge file.  The indirection (< input > output) works,
but I think you have lost your file.  I suggest regenerating it and
using the indirection.  I am assuming it is a huge backup and that
you CAN regenerate it again.  If you can't, Microsoft is your best
bet at finding out how to get all of the lost clusters back, and I
strongly suspect you will never see the file again.  What zip program
did you use to generate such a huge file?

HHH
--
Key Name:  "Henry Hertz Hobbit" <hhhobbit at securemecca.net>
pub   1024D/E1FA6C62 2005-04-11 [expires: 2006-04-11]

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.