OpenPGP Card useing sha256 failed !!

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Sep 21 07:33:14 CEST 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:28:15 +0800, Po-Wen Chi said:

> If using SHA-1 will be carried out normally.
> But if appoint to use SHA-256 , will present wrong information .

You can't use SHA256 with the OpenPGP card or any card I know of.  The
reason for this is that the card checks that the padding is fine and
that padding includes tnhe OID of the hash algorithm.

Anyway, it does not make sense to use a hash algorithm other than
SHA-1 or RIPE MD160 with that card.  The RSA key of currently
available cards is limited to 1024 bit and thus SHA256 would be
overkill.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner