--throw-keyid and -R options

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Sep 24 18:42:28 CEST 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 03:46:12PM +0200, privacy.at Anonymous Remailer wrote:

> Is there any difference between the effects of following commands?
>
> gpg -e -R alice -R bob file
>
> gpg -e -r alice -r bob --throw-keyid file

Since you are using -R (which does a per-recipient --throw-keyid) for
both recipients, there is no difference between the two commands.

> And when I abbreviate --throw-keyid to --throw or --throw-keyi even, I
> get the error:
>
> gpg: Option "--throw-key" is ambiguous
>

> There is nothing else that starts with the string "throw" so why?

There is: there are both options --throw-keyid and --throw-keyids
(they do the same thing).  Come to think though, --throw-keyid could
be removed since is effectively an abbreviation of --throw-keyids.

David