dns cert support

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Apr 5 16:52:39 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 03:18:31PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Apr 2006, David Shaw wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 12:30:42PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> >
> > > I notice that if I have both, a IPGP and a PGP CERT RR that GnuPG fails
> > > to import the key some of the time:
> >
> > [..]
> >
> > > } ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> > > } peter.palfrader.org.    43200   IN      CERT    6 0 0 FFsAyW1dVK7hIGuvhN56r26UwJx/
> > > } peter.palfrader.org.    43200   IN      CERT    PGP 0 0 mQGiBDgp0YcRBACN9s8EycXRsu9ym3Sjou1N.....
> > >
> > > Is having them both not supported or is there a bug somewhere?
> >
> > At the moment, GnuPG will take whichever it sees first (the PGP or the
> > IPGP, but not both).  So given round robining, if you have both, it
> > will seem to flip back and forth between the two.  I'm thinking about
> > having GPG favor one or the other in these cases (probably PGP since
> > if it has already fetched the whole key, it may as well import it
> > rather than go to a web page or keyserver somewhere).
>
> On the other hand the key that is fetched via DNS has serious size
> constraints - DNS limits the RDATA to 64k and I think GnuPG further
> limits this to 16k.  In my case I have significantly stripped down my
> key in order to store it in DNS, so maybe going to the keyserver or the
> location specified in IPGP might be a good idea.

Certainly the CERT PGP type has size restrictions, but I think that's
fine: I don't really see the CERT PGP type as a repository for whole
keys with dozens of signatures like on a keyserver.  Rather, it's a
place to store minimal (via export-minimal) keys.  Once this "seed"
key is gotten via CERT PGP, it can be fleshed out via a keyserver or
preferred keyserver subpacket on the key itself.

The GnuPG 16k max-cert-size is changeable, by the way:

  --keyserver-options max-cert-size=65536

16k was a bit of a guess as to a good value since CERT is so new.

Whether to favor CERT PGP or CERT IPGP is one of those things where a
reasonable case can be made for either path.  It depends on what
you're using CERT for: if you were using CERT in a PKA-like scheme,
you'd want CERT PGP to get the answer as fast as possible, while if
you were using CERT as a automatic key locater you'd probably want
CERT IPGP to get all the signatures.

> > The reason it is not fetching from the IPGP record you have there is
> > there is only a fingerprint, and you must have a --keyserver defined
> > for it to fetch the fingerprint from in that case.  Do you have a
> > --keyserver defined?
>
> Ah, now that I do it works nicely.  Thanks!  Maybe gpg should say that
> it wants to have a keyserver in this case?

Yes, I think it should.  Note that you could make your IPGP contain
both a fingerprint and a URL - that way you get to specify where the
user will fetch your key from (it may not exist in the manner you
desire on their particular keyserver).

David