fetching DE415B0E from sks ([don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=2d))

Peter Palfrader gnupg-users=gnupg.org at lists.palfrader.org
Fri Apr 7 17:53:43 CEST 2006

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006, David Shaw wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 03:40:43PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > running 1.4.4-cvs, when I try to download DE415B0E I get the following
> > error:
> >
> > | weasel at asteria:~$ gpg --keyserver random.sks.penguin.de --recv 94c09c7f DE415B0E
> > | gpg: requesting key DE415B0E from hkp server random.sks.penguin.de
> > | gpg: requesting key 94C09C7F from hkp server random.sks.penguin.de
> > | gpg: key DE415B0E: public key "Susumu OSAWA <susumu-o at goforward.org>" imported
> > | gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=2d)
> > | gpg: read_block: read error: invalid packet
> > | gpg: Total number processed: 1
> > | gpg:               imported: 1
> >
> > While it imports the key in question, it breaks the current download
> > action, not fetching additional keys given on the command line.
>
> This is a feature, believe it or not.  During an import (and a
> keyserver --recv-keys or --refresh-keys is really just an import), GPG
> reads packets off the input stream.  Once any of those packets prove
> invalid (a packet starting with 2D is invalid), there is no way to
> know where it is in the stream - how many bytes should it jump ahead
> to get back on the track.

I don't believe it's a feature - yet :)

I think a --refresh should always try to refresh all keys.  As it is in
this case - with a key with "evil" packets on the keyserver - I'm stuck
in a situation where "gpg --refresh-keys" only updates half of my
keyring.

I can see a point in aborting in the case of gpg --recv, but it's
confusing that it starts fetching keys starting with the last.  Maybe
that could be turned around.

Cheers,
Peter
    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal