Help understanding gnupg needed!

Julia Dashkevich iulia_das at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 19:25:58 CEST 2006

Hi,
I have just installed GnuPG to use it with Enigmail
extension for Thunderbird 1.5.
Having gone through the setup and key generation, it
was necessary to make my public key available on the
web keyserver. Is it true that if i publish it there
my email address (which comes in the user id) may
become a target for spammers? Is it possible to show
an existing webmail address in the user id which is
not the email address i am going to use with
encryption feature?
Moreover, will i only be able to send encrypted mail
to other gnupg users, or does it matter if the
recepient has encryption software of the kind?
ANy imput will be welcome - please respond, i need
this info in order to make a decision whether to
proceed with using this software or quit.