GPG creates two files?

Adam Funk a24061 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 21:58:54 CEST 2006

On 2006-04-22, razzel <datakunskapilund at hotmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I use GPG to encrypt a Word file. Everything works out ok, but the result
> is always two files: the Word file in plain text and an encrypted version of
> the same Word file.  Why is GPG creating two files? Should it not just
> encrypt my Word file?

It *is* encrypting your Word file.  The foo.doc file is your
unencrypted original, unaltered by GPG, and foo.doc.gpg is the
encrypted version.  GPG doesn't remove the original because it doesn't
know you want to get rid of it (you might only want to send someone
the encrypted version) and it doesn't have a built-in way to delete it
securely (you need some kind of file-wiping utility, which will depend
on your OS).