GPG and 1024-bit (or multiple) subkeys

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 15 21:09:43 CEST 2006

David Shaw wrote:

>In short, no.  Your customer is confused.  GPG does not require any
>particular key size.  By default, it will generate 2048-bit keys, but
>it will work quite happily with 1024-bit, 4096-bit, or whatever you
>feel like using.

I remember the pgp 2 code having a limitation to 16k RSA keys due to
special integer precision libs (the default pgp 2 doesn't create
keys larger than 2048 bits but hacked versions exist that ganerate 16k
keys). Is there such a limitation in gpg, or can I happily use a 128k
RSA or El Gamal key with no other problems than them being very slow?

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html