Don't store your key on a flash drive! [was Re: GnuPG (GPG) Problem]

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 14:27:06 CEST 2006

Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:
>> You can't read a private key from the smartcard, but you can read it
>> from the flashdrive. SC is a crypto processor + storage, flashdrive
>> only storage.
>
> All of which is true.  However, the bit to which I was replying was:
>
> "A smartcard is very convenient as far as it's a multi application
> device, so you can store much other info apart from GnuPG keys, i.e.
> Mozilla passwords or such."
>
> ... And I'm still trying to figure out how that's different from a flash
> drive.  Maybe there is a difference and I'm not seeing it.  Or maybe
> there isn't one.

I don't use a flash drive or a smartcard, for the following reasons:

- Flash drives are too prone to failures at bizzare moments
- Smartcards are largely experimental and don't have the instant
usability of a USB stick

(/me mutters something about "The right tool for the right job"...)

--
                Alphax
        Death to all fanatics!